Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, May 22, 2008

My cup runneth over......

"Good morning Vietnam!" I have been wanting to say that for so long.
I have been here for several days now and it has been so busy. First of all, I met Aimée. We arrived at our hotels after over 31 hours (one of the couples lost some of their luggage) and were told we had 10-15 minutes to check in if we wanted to go to the orphanage that day. We jumped at the glorious opportunity! We drove 2 hours to the orphanage. Let me tell you, everything you ever read about the crazy driving in Vietnam is understated. Nobody can put in words the pure terror of driving in Vietnam. I sincerely thought we were all going to die and never even see our children.

Aimée is such a sweet baby. She played strange at first and cried a little. The nannies found it very funny that both Aimée and I had our hair sticking out everywhere (Hey, it was hot and I had not showered in almost 2 days, what can I say?). "Baby like Mommy" they kept saying. Oh, she is so tiny, so lovely, so clever and so precious. They let me feed her. The nannies were warmly laughing at me again because I had the food all over the place. She is one strong girl! They taught me quickly to hold Aimée tighly against me and keep one little arm kind of at the back so she can't grab the food. Oh, boy, am I ever in for one heck of a learning curve. I was so taken back by the kindness, warmth and sensitivety the nannies showed us. They care so much for these babies.
We are hoping to have our Giving and Receiving Ceremony this afternoon. After this, the babies are officially ours!!! Then we can take them back with us. I am very nervous about how Aimée handles the transition. She really adores her nannies. She would look at me and start crying, then a nanny would show up, say a little something in Vietnamese and she would burst out laughing. It breaks my heart to know that her little world is going to be turned upside down for a few days before she gets used to me. We will take it one day at a time, or even one hour at a time if need be.

I am so happy. If you scroll down this blog, you will find a little slide show on the right hand side of the computer screen. Click it and it will bring you to my flickr account. There you can see some pictures of my first few days and more importantly, Aimée!!!

3 comments:

your pal K. said...

Sooooo glad to hear you are there safe and sound and that you are with Aimee! Love the slide show. It is Friday now at 1:45p.m.Look forward to reading your updates. K.

Unknown said...

OK so you owe me a new laptop!!
I cried into it as I sat & read your post with Brendan & Allan.
We are so pleased for you and Aimee.
Great photos - keep them coming....
love Fiona

Anonymous said...

More photos Michelle! We can't live vicariously through you without them. :)

So glad that things are going so well. Can't wait to meet that little girl when you get back.

(*Hugs*)
Tanya